This meat sauce is quick and easy to make and is a basic sauce that brings earthy flavour and lots protein to many favourite dishes. I use this meat sauce in this moussaka, that is a family fave during fall and winter. It is also great with zoodles (zucchini noodles).
It’s easy to double up when making this sauce so you can put one batch in the freezer and get a head start on dinner in coming weeks.
Brown meat for a few minutes, then add dried herbs and minced garlic.
Add tomato paste and strained tomatoes and water. I use the water I will be adding to rinse out the tomato sauce bottle.
Let simmer to merge the flavours, 20-30 minutes is enough, but longer is better if you have the time.
Red meat sauce is a basic sauce that brings earthy flavour and ample protein to many favourite dishes.
It’s easy to double up when making this sauce so you can put one batch in the freezer and get a headstart on dinner in coming weeks.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lbs ground beef, organic and grassfed if possible
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 bottle strained tomato sauce
- 200 ml filtered water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- black pepper, a few turns
- 1/8 tsp chili flakes
- Mince garlic into a small bowl and set aside. Chop onions finely.
- In a thick bottomed pan, or dutch oven, heat avocado oil on medium/high, add ground beef and brown while stirring to break up the meat for 2-3 minutes. Add onion, stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes until onions begin to soften. Add garlic, oregano, salt, black pepper and chili flakes. Keep cooking for another minute.
- Add tomato paste and strained tomato sauce and water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and let simmer covered for 20 – 30 minutes. Stir occasionally adding more water if the sauce thickens too much.
This sauce is great with zoodles (zucchini noodles), spaghetti squash and roasted/steamed veggies. This sauce is also part of this Moussaka.
Keywords: Tasty meat sauce, easy weeknight dinner, what to make with ground beef