This basic white sauce is gluten free and vegan and is a star in many classic comfort dishes that rely on a creamy texture. Neutral tasting cashew milk is perfect for this recipe. I like to make the half-and-half version of cashew milk since it is creamier. The recipe is easy to remember since it’s 3:3:3 for the oil, flour and cashew milk.
Most of the time I use refined coconut oil for the roux. Other fats that can be used are avocado oil, or chicken fat that has risen to the top of chicken stock or bone broth.
- 3 tbsp refined coconut oil
- 3 tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 3 cups cashew milk “half-and-half”
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Melt fat in a thick-bottomed pot on medium heat, add flour slowly and whisk to avoid lumps. Reduce heat and let cook together for 2-3 minutes while whisking continuously, being careful not to burn.
- Add cashew milk gradually while whisking, the sauce will thicken quickly as it comes to a boil. Add salt and crumble in dried parsley. Keep whisking for another minute or two. Remove from heat and adjust seasoning as needed.
Use this sauce in classic dishes such as lasagna or moussaka.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: sauce
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Gluten-free creamy white sauce, creamy vegan white sauce