Take food prep to the next level with this Triple Power Salad Base. Thinking of your vegetables in three distinct categories is a powerful way to make sure you get the variety needed to cover the bodies need for vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and other phytonutrients. The 3 categories are dark leafy greens, sulphur-rich and deeply coloured veggies.
Use the vegetables available locally, by season and what you can find in your grocery store. The goal is to select one or two veggies from each category (see blog post for lists). If a vegetable checks two boxes just decide which category you will count it in. My recipe is just an example of what I made in the month of May, I was able to get kale, oak leaf lettuce and tender asparagus from my local farmer’s market. The peppers and red onions came from the grocery store along with the cherry tomatoes, avocado and strawberry toppers.
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 head dark green or red lettuce
- 1/2 red onion
- 8–10 thin asparagus spears
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 strawberries
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- GREENS: Wash and dry kale and lettuce, or any other greens you are using. Chop the greens and place in bowl.
- SULPHUR RICH + DEEP COLOUR: Slice red onion into thin slices. Trim asapargus spears and slice into 1/2″ pieces and cut red pepper into strips or bite-sized pieces.
- STORING: Place all chopped vegetables in glass or stainless steel containers or mason jars. Line and/or top with brown paper towel if storing for more than 2 days.
- TOPPERS: When it is time to serve the salad, or when getting the salad ready for a lunch to go, add the delicate toppers such as avocado, berries, tomatoes and hemp seeds.
- DRESS: Drizzle olive oil and vinegar on top and toss, or at the bottom of the jar taking the salad to go to avoid soggy greens.
TIP! Serve with grilled chicken or chick peas.