This fall soup is creamy with a hit of Thai flavours. Butternut squash is a source of vitamin A and C as well as the minerals calcium and iron and plenty of fiber.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 roasted butternut squash
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 6–8 turns black pepper
- 1 can coconut milk
- Remove skin from roasted butternut squash. Finely chop red onion.
- Heat avocado oil on medium high in a large thick bottomed pot, add red curry paste and stir until fragrant for about one minute.
- Add red onion and cook for 2 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked squash and stir to combine with curry paste and onions.
- Add chicken stock, coconut sugar, fish sauce, salt and black pepper. Cover and bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and return to a simmer for a minute or two.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. With immersion blender puree soup until creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Optional, decorate with a fried sage leaf and coarse salt flakes.
This soup is perfect during fall and is a nice start a Thanksgiving feast.